Me? A Feminist? (synthesis reflection)

So I think it’s stupid girls don’t get paid as much as guys. But I’m not a feminist. And why does dress code say I have to wear longer shorts than boys just because I don’t have a penis? But I’m not a feminist. And how come my middle and high school PE teachers gave my team extra points if one of us girls scored? But I’m not a feministThat’s all bullshit to me. But I’m not a feminist.

Get over yourself, Amber. Feminism isn’t scary or a “bad word”. Feminists aren’t crazy man haters who want to take over the world and make men our “bitches.” Feminism is about equality. So shouldn’t we all be feminists? Personally, I don’t think anyone should be treated like shit because of how they were born, race, gender, class, or otherwise. So maybe I am a feminist.

Doing extensive research for this paper made me realize I had a voice for feminism. But, I also saw a lot of problems with feminism. A lot of areas that I believe we can all work on together to make this movement unstoppable. Men are an essential part of the march towards equality and women have to make sure not to leave them behind.

Bros Before Hos is what inspired this paper. Women aren’t the only ones expected to fit into a made up box society created and for the feminism movement to really be about equality, we must address all gender issues- not just the ones that affect women.

I loved this unit. I learned so much about not only the issues of this matter, but my own opinions and voice on the issues. Getting an A meant a lot to me on this paper because this was so far outside of my comfort zone, but now I have found something new I have a passion for.