Casual Argument Proposal Draft

At the start of my research, I asked the question, “Why do so many Americans develop pessimistic perceptions of crime in America despite what actual crime statistics show?” I believe this is a prevalent question to ask considering the widespread news coverage of police officers being involved in the shootings and killings of unarmed, often African American, teenagers. This detrimental view of crime portrayed by the media paints negative perceptions of police officers, racial groups, and crime. Such tragic incidents also justify why some people blame guns and the “lack of gun control” for the crime rate in America, sparking a conflicting battle between American citizens who strive to see more regulations regarding gun laws and those who are angered by the thought of their right to bear arms being taken away. My research suggests that the crime rate in America has been declining over the past two decades; however, the depiction of crime portrayed by the media increases negative public perceptions of crime by Americans.
For my casual argument, I plan to observe the casual relationship between the crime rate in America as well as the percentage of Americans believing crime has increased since previous years. Data obtained from the FBI and composed into the Uniform Crime Report shows that America experienced it’s highest rate of reported violent crimes in 1992 (1,932,274) but has sense been on a steady decline (in 2014, the number of reported crimes was 1,165,3838). However, A 2015 Gallup poll showed that 70% of Americans believe that the crime rate in America has increased since the year before.

9 thoughts on “Casual Argument Proposal Draft

1. It starts out great and includes your beginning research question, as well as discussing information that is important to your topic. Don’t forget to add a thesis and propose a new focus for your research.

2. Very good for the most part. Try to break up some of the sentences in the beginning a little, because it did become slightly wordy. One sentence might do it. Overall very good, make sure to finish your thesis.

3. This a very solid rough draft. Some of the sentences seem kind of lengthy. So, break them up a little, and it will flow more smoothly

4. Because I know your writing style, I know you will want to be super specific in this next part. Don’t feel the need to. YOu do a great job of showing contradictory evidence there (between actual crime stats and poll perceptions). Now move to why you think that contradiction exists and how that will inspire your next piece.

I can’t wait for this paper.

5. This is a strong proposal. You address both your original research question and build kairos. However, one thing you forgot is to highlight a working thesis at the end of your proposal.

6. The proposal hits all of the points needed except the proposal of a new focus. For the most part many of the things addressed seem to be in line with what was questioned in the original research question.

7. It is a good start, it is clear on the focus, its not bias, and you bring up the main points. I suggest simpler sentences or at least a variety between simple and complex.