Reflective Analysis Part 2

During the process of drafting up ideas, producing, and editing our documentary, Project Image, we considered many factors to create the mood and portray our message. The purpose of our documentary is to draw attention to the effects that social media has on our self image as a society. Primarily, we sought to reach millennials as they often use social media more than older adults. Millennials have had the opportunity of growing up with social media so it has affected the way that we view ourselves much more.

In order to appeal to our audience we interviewed college students, used interesting music, and provided examples of social media such as the videos from Snapchat placed in the documentary. In order to depict the proper tone for the documentary, Lele and I decided it would look good in black and white as opposed to color. This change made the documentary more somber and serious so that the audience paid attention to the task at hand. However, since the video is black and white it seemed rather boring we cropped the shot in a variety of ways to zoom in and out to keep the audience interested. Another strategic decision that we made was to change from black and white to color at the end. The music shifts at a pivotal point to a more upbeat tone and the image shifts from black and white to color. I think that this really drove home our point.

Fortunately, our group worked very well together and the project came together pretty seamlessly. Everyone played an equal role and held their weight. My role was to edit the video, and I feel proud of my work and think it turned out like we wanted to. Everyone contributed ideas and offered me feedback to make our video look great and communicate our point to the audience. I think that if we could do it again we would have liked to develop a few more questions to really frame our message and we also would have liked to diversify our interviewees by having more boys. I think this would have allowed our message to appeal to a wider audience. Unfortunately, with time being a factor it was hard to find more boys. Overall, I think that the project turned out very well.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 5.04.57 PM Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 5.04.40 PM Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 5.04.21 PM