The “Catch”

Before when I thought about going to college there were so many things I wanted to do. I wanted to explore, experiment, make new friends, life long friends, go to parties, go to football games, drive to Taco Bell at 3am just because my mom wasn’t there to tell me no. Few of the dreams I had about college included class. Class was kind of the “catch”, if you will, of going to college. Then when I got here, my mindset completely flipped. I went to class, went to the dorm and studied for hours on end, went to bed around 12 and then got up and started it all over again. I went to one party and suddenly wondered why that had been what I was looking forward to this whole time. But with the events of the past week I think I learned, more than ever before, the need for balance. 99.9% of the time, class is a must, but maybe playing hookie (or hooky?) one day wouldn’t hurt. Even though I was so excited about leaving home and being six hours away from Mom and Dad, perhaps taking my homework on the road so I could sit on their couch and study instead of mine would be okay. I think the most important part of college is growing as a person and I thought the best way to do that was on my own, but my family helped me grow this far, might as well keep them around for a little longer. As far as football games? Yeah, they’re still top priority. So what’s the real catch you ask? Learning to balance all the things there are to do and accepting the decisions you make, and that’s something no class, nor party will ever teach you.

PS: I know that EDHE is supposed to teach us balance and time management and all that crap, but that is the worst class I have ever experienced and if and when I skip class, it will be that one.