Weekly Artifact: History or Theology

Posted on

This week I have been reading a short story for my History class. The book was about an African American family that lived in a black community in the new west during the late 1800s. The father was a preacher in this small town and put into focus the family and societal struggles this family faced because of this occupation. Although I do not always agree with some of the points that are highlighted in the book, I found it to be very interesting. With this being said, any time I came across something I did not agree with, I would look up bible verses in efforts to prove these statements and accusations wrong. When looking back on this, I saw how I was able to relate my personal beliefs and scripture in the Bible to this historical fiction short story. I was surprised as to how much I was able and motivated to relate and draw these connections through out this book. I usually just read the book because I had to, but this time I wanted and easily made these connections. Not only did this help me understand the book, but it helped with my knowledge and understanding of the scripture.

2 thoughts on “Weekly Artifact: History or Theology

1. While further reflecting on this connection experience, I realized that I turn to my beliefs as a set of glasses. In other words, I discovered that I draw connections between my beliefs and others beliefs all the time. When I am reading a news article, Facebook post, text book or text, I also have a perspective, based around my beliefs, when I am interpreting the text. For example, I received a text today from a peer and they were using cuss words through out the text. I viewed that text in a negative light because of my beliefs. Then it occurred to me that maybe someone else from a different background wouldn’t see anything wrong with the use of profanity. Overall, I realized that my beliefs connect to the way I perceive things all the time.

• As I think more about this post, I realized I had missed another pivotal point through this educational experience. I had gone to my professor in order to discuss the argumentative paper I was going to write. To my surprise, my professor was an atheists. So when I started slamming him with scripture and personal beliefs his statement was “is this really cold hard facts?” I remembered being so frustrated because to me they were facts, but to him it wasn’t. I think this is the moment where I realized that not only did I have to think individually, but I had to think of each class/professor individually when I complete an assignment. For example, I feel that if I wrote a paper and mentioned the Bible in writing class, you would be understanding. On the contrary, my history teacher would not feel the same way.