Derby Days vs Social Media

Posted on

This past weekend, I participated in Derby Days for Sigma Chi’s philanthropy event. Before I go into my personal opinions or statements about this particular event, I wanted to clearly state that anything I say in regards to this matter does not reflect the views of any organizations I am a part of. Digital Rhetoric is something that is so commonly used today and on many occasions it is used for good and connective matters. In this event and scenario, I believe that this one, emotionally driven post has exploded in the wrong manner because of the abilities Facebook provides. This idea of something on social media going viral is nothing new. Time and time again you will see the same video of adorable dogs pop up on your Facebook feed due to the fact that people like, share or comment on the posts. In this derby days event at Ole Miss, social media was used as a mechanism to bring about conflict and bad reputations. The biggest connect or parallel I can think of between this incident and the United States is through politics. Since we are in the months leading up to the presidential elections, you see all over the internet good and bad things going viral about the candidates. In conclusion, I think that social media is used as a means of communication, but sometimes it can be enlarged into something that is not that big of a deal.

One thought on “Derby Days vs Social Media

1. I tried to reflect the points I made in this posts to an event in my personal life. I instantly realized that even in my boring life, there have been plenty of times where people I don’t even know will know something about what I have posted. For example, I took a guy friend to one of my formals. Like every basic girl does, I posted a picture on Instagram. Within 45 minutes, 100 people had liked my photo and I got about 20 texts from people back home asking who he was and if I liked him (ANNOYING). Now that doesn’t include anyone who may have screen shotted that post and sent it to other people or the individuals that saw my post, but didn’t like it. Overall, I realized within that 45 minutes my picture was recognized and had the potential to be seen by more people than I actually know. It is a good reminder to always be aware of what you post on social media.