Timed Writing

Have you ever given much thought to the Native American stereotypes? I haven’t. For my entire life I have only heard of Native American stories and how each and every one of them are “connected to the Earth” and possess some mystic “powers”. In Sherman Alexie’s “Search Engine”, the main character Corliss states that “White people, no matter how smart, were too romantic about Indians” (Alexie 11). However, upon searching some articles in the New York Times, I have found several examples of Native Americans somewhat playing into the stereotype, and that there is in fact some truth to it. In Tejal Rao’s “The Movement to Define Native American Cuisine”, a Native American chef somewhat validates what Alexie says when he creates dishes that are made from miscellaneous herbs, spices, and plants (much like a white man would imagine every Native American does). This shows that there is some truth to Alexie’s claim due to the fact that the chef became so popular, serving his dishes to a predominately white crowd who is fascinated with his methods of cooking.