Connect 10: Do I have hidden prejudices?

My topic is prejudice, and one of the causes of prejudice is stereotyping. Even though I am anti-prejudice, I have stereotyped people before. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a muslim girl wearing the hijab. I honestly became afraid because Muslims are stereotyped as being bombers, killers, etc. I am normally ok when I see them, but I guess I was more afraid because this time I could only see her eyes. I became so nervous that I moved to the other side of the sidewalk. I felt really bad for doing that, because I thought that maybe I am prejudice against Muslims. I would like to think I am not, but there may be a little bit in me. All in all, I think I am just skeptical because their track records have not been too good. I know not all Muslims are killers, but that is all that is portrayed in the media which has caused me to be somewhat afraid of them. I am still against prejudice, but I do think there is a difference between being prejudice and skeptical.

One thought on “Connect 10: Do I have hidden prejudices?

1. I still find myself wondering if I have any hidden prejudices. I always hope I don’t, but the question does linger at the back of my mind. I have seen a few more of the young ladies wearing the hijabs, and I did not move across the street. I actually even smiled at them. It is not that I want to be afraid of them, but the media has put this image in my mind that they are killers. I know not all of them are, but when that is all I see in the media, I do become a little bit afraid. I think what would help me is to befriend one of them. I could then learn about their culture and hopefully not be so afraid of them.